A curated list of awesome things related to Hardware Engineering
- Engineering Design
- Fabrication & Sourcing
- Open Source Hardware
Mechanical CAD Kernels
- Parasolid - Parasolid is the world’s leading 3D solid modeling component software used as the foundation of Siemens PLM’s NX and Solid Edge products. Parasolid is also licensed to many of the leading independent software vendors (ISVs) on a level play field basis. These ISVs develop hundreds of Parasolid-based applications in the product design and analysis market space.
- OpenCascade - Open CASCADE Technology (OCCT), a software development platform providing services for 3D surface and solid modeling, CAD data exchange, and visualization. Most of OCCT functionality is available in the form of C++ libraries. OCCT can be best applied in development of software dealing with 3D modeling (CAD), manufacturing / measuring (CAM) or numerical simulation (CAE).
- CGAL - CGAL is a software project that provides easy access to efficient and reliable geometric algorithms in the form of a C++ library. CGAL is used in various areas needing geometric computation, such as geographic information systems, computer aided design, molecular biology, medical imaging, computer graphics, and robotics.
Mechanical CAD Software
- PTC Creo - Imagine, Design, Create, Innovate your products better with PTC Creo. The 3D CAD / CAM / CAE software and solutions for product design and development.
- Siemens NX - NX 12 delivers the next generation of design, simulation, and manufacturing solutions that enable companies to realize the value of the digital twin.
- Dassault Catia - CATIA is a multi-platform software suite for computer-aided design, computer-aided manufacturing, computer-aided engineering, PLM and 3D, developed by the French company Dassault Systèmes.
- Siemens Solid Edge - Solid Edge is a 3D CAD, parametric feature and synchronous technology solid modeling software. It runs on Microsoft Windows and provides solid modeling, assembly modelling and 2D orthographic view functionality for mechanical designers
- Dassault Solidworks - SolidWorks is a solid modeling computer-aided design and computer-aided engineering computer program that runs on Microsoft Windows. SolidWorks is published by Dassault Systèmes. Wikipedia
- Autodesk Product Design & Manufacturing Collection - Design and make your products with our best Inventor, including fully-integrated simulation and 5-axis CAM with Autodesk Nastran In-CAD and HSM. Get the latest versions of AutoCAD and other products in the collection, and explore cloud-based product development with Fusion 360.
- Autodesk AutoCAD - Original AutoCAD® software for 2D and 3D CAD is engineered for the future. Work with TrustedDWG™ technology across desktop, cloud, and mobile. Includes AutoCAD mobile app.
- Autodesk Fusion360 - Fusion 360 is the first 3D CAD, CAM, and CAE tool of its kind. It connects your entire product development process in a single cloud-based platform that works on both Mac and PC.
- Autodesk Inventor - 3D CAD software for product development. Inventor® 3D CAD software offers professional-grade 3D mechanical design, documentation, and product simulation tools.
- OnShape - Design, version, and share parts, assemblies, and drawings from anywhere for less than your legacy CAD maintenance fees.
- FreeCAD - FreeCAD is a parametric 3D modeler made primarily to design real-life objects of any size. Parametric modeling allows you to easily modify your design by going back into your model history and changing its parameters. FreeCAD is open-source and highly customizable, scriptable and extensible.
- OpenSCAD - OpenSCAD is software for creating solid 3D CAD objects. It is free software and available for Linux/UNIX, MS Windows and Mac OS X.
Electrical CAD Software
- Altium Designer - Altium Designer consists of all the tools required to produce a PCB from concept to manufacturing. A suite of comprehensive design editors resides in a single all-encompassing environment allowing the seamless exchange of design data between them. Whether you’re capturing a schematic, laying out a PCB, or reviewing MCAD constraints, it truly is a unique experience that provides a natural electronics workflow.
- Altium Upverter - The future of product design. Rapidly design next-generation electronics, products and IOT devices in the cloud, for free.
- Altium Circuit Maker - A free community-driven PCB design tool. The streamlined user interface makes it easy to get started, and an industry leading design platform underneath helps bring your creative ideas to life. Explore the CircuitMaker community of makers, hobbyists, and DIYers to share ideas and find out how to turn those big ideas into real designs.
- Autodesk Eagle - EAGLE is a scriptable electronic design automation (EDA) application with schematic capture, printed circuit board (PCB) layout, auto-router and computer-aided manufacturing (CAM) features. EAGLE stands for Easily Applicable Graphical Layout Editor
- Cadence ORCAD PCB Designer - OrCAD® PCB Designer is a tiered, scalable PCB design solution that delivers advanced capabilities and highly integrated flows. The powerful, tightly integrated PCB design technologies include schematic capture, librarian tools, PCB editing and routing (PCB Editor), Constraint Manager, signal integrity (included in Professional), autorouting (included in Professional), and optional mixed-signal circuit simulation.
- Cadence Allegro PCB Designer - The Cadence® Allegro® PCB Designer quickly takes simple and complex designs from concept to production in a constraint-driven design system to ensure functionality and manufacturability. Scalable technology allows designers to cost-effectively match all current and future technological and methodological needs for teams, organizations, and projects of all sizes and complexities.
- Siemens Mentor Graphics - A lot of different tools in EDA and CAE
- Pulsonix - Powerful Schematic Capture & PCB Design Software: Pulsonix provides your company with advanced yet affordable, PCB design capability
- KiCAD - A Cross Platform and Open Source Electronics Design Automation Suite
- Wikipedia Comparison
- Siemens TeamCenter
- Dassault Enovia
- PTC Windchill
- Oracle Agile PLM
- Arras PLM -
- Propel PLM - Propel’s mission is to help you create world-changing products for your customers. Our cloud PLM system helps your engineers, marketing, partners, customers, and everyone else collaborate on all the product information needed to get your products from concept to customer.
- Arena PLM
- Aligni PLM
- Open PLM
- Open PLM Repo
- Proto PLM
- Odoo PLM
Web Based Engineering Collaboration Tools
- GrabCAD Workbench
- Autodesk 360
- Dragon Innovation Planner
- STEMN SYNC Painless Engineering Versioning
Fabrication and Sourcing
Mechanical Fabrication Services
- Proto Labs
- Quick Parts
- E-Machine Shop
- Fast Radius
- 3D Hubs
- Voodoo Manufacturing
PCB Fabrication Services
- Tempo Automation
- OSH Park
- Seeed Studio
- PCB Way
- PCB Universe
- PCB Net
- PCB Cart
Noteworthy CMs (Contract Manufacturers)
- MacroFab - Automated electronics contract manufacturing startup in TX
Contract Design Agencies
- Dragon Innovation
- Supplyframe Quote Fx
- Supplyframe Polydyne
- Global Sources
- Digikey BOM Manager
Open Source Hardware
- Stratasys Thingiverse
- Stratasys GrabCAD
- Altium Upverter
- Ultimaker Youmagine
- My Mini Factory
- STEMN Community Great Engineering is Open. Explore open-source projects or contribute your own.
- Local Motors
- Open Source Beehives
Communities & Websites
Incubators, Accelerators, & Funds
Blogs & Newsletters
Guides & Published Resources
- Upverter Periodic Table of Hardware
- Upverter Hardware Product Canvas
- Creating and Optimizign a BOM
- HAX State of Hardware
Movies & Videos
- Maker: A documentary on the maker movement
- Print the Legend
- Building an Iphone in China
- YouTube Playlist … coming soon